Pages

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Hooray for birthdays!


Just a quick post tonight to save me from getting too far behind!  I promise, more will soon be forthcoming.  I've been busy at work and my step dad died last week so I haven't been in the best frame of mind for blogging.  Still its not all bad!  You only have to look at some of the pics from birthday weekend away in Kohukohu with Ben to see how good things can really be.

We took a Friday off the weekend before last and made our way up north at a leisurely pace, driving through Dargaville and up through the Waipoua Forest.  I saw Tane Mahuta for the first time - that's one big ass tree right there! We also went to Rawene for lunch and had fish and chips on the wharf while we waited for the car ferry.

After that it was just a quick drive to Kohukohu, quite possibly one of the smallest, prettiest towns in NZ (in my opinion).  We stayed in an old cafe building that sat right out over the water. It was mainly just one large room with a wrap around deck and it was perfect. Ben tried his luck fishing, but didn't get anywhere and he also taught me how to play chess, which I kinda sucked at but enjoyed nonetheless.

We had dinner both nights at the local pub and had great coffee from the cafe and Ben had an epic meat pie too. We also drove out to Mitimiti on the Saturday, which is a remote, wild west coast beach totally worth a visit (again, in my opinion).

On the Sunday we made our way back to Auckland again taking a scenic route, this time through Langs Beach, Waipu Cove and Mangawhai.  We had lunch at Bennetts in Mangawhai and then bought some delicious chocolates from their store, some for us and some for the girls.  It was a pretty sweet weekend all round, it's gotta be said.

More soon, I promise!







As ever, a shout out to Ben for the mad photo skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment