Pages

Monday 1 June 2015

Loving it - week two



Sometimes it's hard to see the good in anything. Especially when you're hit with the 'disestablishment' of your job and then the somewhat unexpected death of your grandparent, whilst the other grandparent lies in a similarly desperate condition two rooms down in the same hospital ward.

But on the whole, I have always been a person who sees the positive in any situation and since I've dabbled a bit in trying to understand the law of attraction and positive vibrations and whatnot, I have made a concerted effort to try and see the good in everything no matter the circumstances!  So on that note, check out all the things I'm loving this week.

First up is soup. I've discovered I could pretty much eat soup all day long and never grow tired of it if I was allowed.  For the last week the boyfriend and I have been on somewhat of a soup bender making various batches like vegetable and barley, leek and potato and pea and ham.  I currently have three quarters of a pumpkin squandering its life away in the back of the fridge and I can see it making a pretty damn tasty soup too, so its days are numbered.

I'm also loving a bit of sugar-free experimental baking, the likes of which has been a weekly occurrence in our kitchen. I do still occasionally crave something slightly sweeter than the treats I have created (pictured are raspberry, yoghurt and oatmeal muffins) but on the whole things have turned out pretty well.  Not strictly sugar-free as honey often makes an appearance, but more often than not things are sweetened with dates, bananas or berries. Nothing has been exactly how I envisioned it yet, but the experimenting is half the fun... and best of all, it all seems to be getting eaten (surely some sort of parenting win).

My last shout out of the week goes to mandarins, which, quite frankly are epic, juicy, mind-blowing morsels of winter deliciousness.  We (stupidly, because it pissed down) tackled the Avondale Markets this weekend and came back with about a kilo of easy-peel beauties, which not only taste great but look super pretty in the kitchen too.

It hasn't escaped my notice that everything I'm loving is basically some sort of food, but hell, when you're having a shit week, it's often food that offers the most basic of comforts, so why fight it?


No comments:

Post a Comment